Monday, November 5, 2007

Blogging the return, this time it's personal.

Hi,

Well, I thought that I'd give a little bit of feedback on how blogging is going.

I have to admit, I quite enjoy doing it. It's something creative that I didn't expect would be my sort of thing. It's like writing in a diary, and sharing it with only your closest friends, the internet.

I recently changed my blogs around a little, since I originally started with one blog, and that's grown now to four blogs. I arranged them, so that they're stored in a more logical manner, that will hopefully make for easier to locate content for the future.

I can't say that all this effort has made me lots of money, in fact so far I think it's made me the tidy sum of $0.00. Perhaps now that I've got my house in order, and have the blogs logically sorted, people will start to visit, and I will see an improvement from those heady heights. Let's face it, I can only improve from here on in.

It looks like an easy thing to do, does blogging, but even if you do have strong opinions, and can write reasonably, it's still quite tough. Well, when I say that, I mean it's quite tough to blog, and get people to visit, and stay with you. Many people just look on their way through, or use things like StumbleUpon to get to the site. Those people then obviously are not taken by the content and spend only a couple of second there before leaving. Hi!!

You really have to know the sorts of words to leave as a headline to grab people's attention, then the content has to be absorbing. Then you need to come up with that sort of quality and content on a regular basis. Your reader base will grow, and you will become rich, good looking, have a fancy sports car, large yacht, bit house, you know the deal. Actually, I made that up.

Then there's a myriad of different way to generate readers, to get people to view site. Thought communities like BlogCatalog, which incidentally is great, and has some very helpful members, or StumbleUpon or various widget offerings. Widgets are little windows that offer up pictures of who visited your site, links to other sites, things for sale, that sort of thing. The jury is out as to whether they're useful or not.

One thing they do, is make the page load time of the blog seem quick, because of how slow it them becomes after having 2 or 3 widgets on the page. There is a good reason for this, they're using JavaScript mostly, and are querying some other site for their data. I don't know if people close the blog if it takes too long to load, as there aren't any counters for that, that I've seen so far!

No comments: