Monday, November 5, 2007

Broadband woes

Hello there readers,

Well, I thought that I'd start with a whinge. Typical, I hear you say, always whinging. Sorry, but this is an important one to me. I don't want to get in trouble for telling you all, but tell you I will, since there seems to be nothing else that I can do.

We have been in our house since May 2006, and still can't get broadband access speeds to the house. Last I looked, the house wasn't a cave. And yet, here I am with a pair gain telephone system. What is next Telstra, are we to get morse code sets, so that you can cut your costs further?

I wasn't made aware that I was getting a pair gain line into the house (I didn't even know that such a thing existed), nor was I asked if I would like a connection speed that goes faster than 28Kbps, but here I am, in this very situation.
We live in a house 12Km from the city, for all you snobs out there, we'd probably not be considered inner city. All the same, it's a long way from rural, or out in the sticks as we like to call it. We live in a reasonably nice area, our house is only about 7 years old, and yet we have a pedal powered telecommunications system from hell.

The house is in a lovely location, with a nature reserve behind us, and a park in front. That idyllic (!) setting isn't a good setting to be in if you want to get wireless connectivity. Wireless carriers don't seem to want to transmit through trees, which makes out situation that little bit more hopeless.

Finally, we think that we'd like to try for cable access, no such luck. 5-10 minutes walk through the park and people I know have it, but we can't get it.
How is this customer service, helpful, or anything but a monopoly? We have nowhere to go, to get better access. There is no hope in my opinion of that changing either, as competitors are at our local exchange, so Telstra, one would imagine would have no motivation to allow their competitors to compete.

One final note, to try to get the line transpositioned, you have to apply for Telstra braodband through bigpond. That really does seem to me like a great offer dressed up a little like a monopoly?

I have tried other phone companies, some take the time to tell me that there is nothing that they can do, and Telstra would charge them a lot of money to upgrade the line if they did it at all. And some act almost as if I have the plague or something, and can't wait to hang up on me.

I've tried the wireless option, which due to the trees means that I had to force the modem to work at its top speed, which resulted in frequent and long disconnections, often resulting in my having to restart the modem. The only option I can think of is to install an aerial, but I won't do that unless I can guarantee a decent reception, and good service. So many wireless providers are soooo expensive, and I need some decent amounts of download and upload limits, since I actually work in software. Okay, I don't work in software, I design, and write software, and being able to upload, download, get the latest beta releases of software and so on would be great.

Here's a thought, if there's anyone from Microsoft reading this post, please complain very strongly about this issue, since I can't help you test software, or write applications for it because it would take from now to eternity to download the software on a flaky 28Kbps connection. Please?

So what's happening then? Well, it seems quite obvious to me that the problems are down to a lack of competition, nay, no competition at all. There is no alternative infrastructure available, so competitors can't ever be that. This infrastructure was originally government owned, so really should belong to the people. One solution to this woeful tale is to split the company, to make an infrastructure company, and one that uses those services to sell other products. If that happened, then all competitors would compete on a level playing field, and force the technology to be improved.

I hear murmurings of future developments into WiMax and those sorts of areas. I hope that this technology isn't tree-adverse too, otherwise maybe we will still have the line when it becomes and antique. I wonder if we could then claim squatters' rights on the line?!

I've been in contact with Telstra, senators, ombudsman, the monopolies commission, and guess what, nobody wants to know, or cares. Perhaps somebody will read this, and contact me with some ideas. There must be companies out there that can do something, make some money, and solve my problems all in one kind act?

No comments: